Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuna and Couscous Zucchini Boats

Dear Sister,

This has been a weird week. I’ve been craving vegetables and fruit, so I’ve been cooking vegetarian. I’ve had fish a few times, but basically give me beans, squash, onions, and grains. I’ve also been traveling the globe with my meals. Indian, Mexican, Italian… with lots of fusion, of course.

I had to laugh at myself, because my week night dinners- which I aim for taking 30 min or less to prep- are not your typical meals. Last night I made sole sautéed in browned butter and capers, pasta with a homemade kale pesto, and roasted kabocha squash. It only took 1 hour from start to finish. That’s a normal meal in the Linds household! Being a culinary nerd is interesting and usually strange.

I didn't take the time to arrange my pear slices 
or make this pretty since I was ravenous!

These zucchini boats I made are a combination of several recipes I looked at online, but I really used my personal tastes to make them. I’ve been craving zucchini boats specifically for a while, and I finally remembered to actually buy zucchini at the grocery.

Couscous  Tuna Zucchini Boats
¼ c couscous
1/3 c water or chicken broth
1 can tuna
1 carrot, small dice
2 green onion, thin slice
1 roma tomato, small dice
2 T olive oil mayo
2 t honey mustard
2 t lemon juice
2 t dry parsley
½ t chipotle powder
¼ t garlic powder
¼ t onion powder
salt and pepper
2 small-medium zucchini
¼ c cheddar cheese
Bring water to a boil and add couscous. Stir, turn off heat, and cover. Let sit 5 min.
Drain tuna and break up chunks. Stir everything together except zucchini and cheddar cheese.
Cut off ends of zucchini; then scoop out insides, leaving ¼” shell. Spray outside of zucchini with pan spray or olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Flip over and fill with tuna mixture. Mound it up inside, packing lightly. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 350 30 min.

Notes:

*You could use quinoa in place of couscous. I basically used couscous because it has a shorter cook time.

*I buy canned Starkist solid white albacore tuna in water.

2 comments:

  1. I am surprised by the cheddar cheese. Was it good and necessary? I have trouble getting Paul to eat cheese on top of things. He usually asks me to skip his.

    I have FINALLY figured out how to buy good canned tuna. Paul has not. He bought the cheap stuff and made sure I knew he was not ok with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the cheese would be essential, but it was a really nice contrast in texture. The filling is pretty soft, so the crispy cheese added a nice element.

    ReplyDelete